Friday, November 7, 2008

finding feeds

This exercise had us using several different sites to search for newsfeeds. This is my experience with the ones I used.

Topix:

This was neat because you could use your zipcode to search for news focused in your area. One of the first articles that popped up was about my other employer- The American Motorcycle Association. Pretty cool. It was just as easy to search with other key words or use their more advanced search feature.

Syndic8:

Cool name, but I found this site a lot more difficult to navigate. The pages all took a really long time to load and the layout was far from visually appealing.

Technorati:

This site was interesting because it features blogposts from all over the net that are rising in popularity on their homepage. The organization was fairly clear cut and searching was pretty easy. Using this site I found a blog called "The Happiness Project" and subscibed to it via Bloglines.

The Bloglines Search:

This is just what you would expect it to be, a lot like a Google or Yahoo news search, returning a lot of results not exactly sorted to perfection. I searched the term "Library joke" ((because it's been rather a dull rainy friday)) and I had to click through three websites to get to a story about a woman in Oregon who wanted to burn a book her son checked out from his high school library. Not that funny, and not that convenient.

Of the search engines I explored Topix & Technorati were my favorites.

No comments: