Monday, November 17, 2008

thing 21.:.podcasts

For this thing we were asked to look through some podcast directories.

I looked through podcastalley. I found a podcast that interested me- coverville - and subscribed to it on my bloglines account. A good cover is always a good thing, and there are never too many sources for them.

On a library related note I found several podcasts done directly by librararies across the country. One I thought was impressive was the Chesire Public Library Podcast. It's a podcast mostly dedicated to the teens of the library. They discuss books, share their own writing, and conduct interviews. Pretty impressive. A really great way to utilize the podcast technology in a library and social setting.

I have always enjoyed podcasts- I've been using them for several years now. Mostly since I purchased my ipod- just because it makes everything portable. NPR's podcasts are some of my favorites. Keeping up with the music scene is a lot easier when you can do it on the go as well. I think the idea of harnessing this technology for library use is a super idea. The teens at Chesire seem to be giving it a go at any rate. CML could use podcasts in a similar fashion- maybe even uniting all of the teen groups from all of the branches. It would be a great way to save book discussions for book groups- that way if someone misses a week it isn't a problem. It might also be useful for keeping staff up to date on meetings in general, or even training sessions. I love podcasts- I never see/hear things when they happen. I watch my tv online (The Office) or on dvd, and I listen to my radio shows via podcast as well. Having a public CML podcast to unify the entire community and keep everyone on the same page about events would be a great idea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I found your blog! Have you heard that we know some of the same folks?