Wednesday, November 5, 2008

seven and a half habits of highly successful lifelong learners

So, this is my blog for the Columbus Metropolitan Library's Learn and Play Program!

This is task one & two of the 23 things list that we need to complete by 12.02.08

We were asked to view a video on lifelong learning. The video's main message emphasized that it is never too late or too early to learn and encouraged a process in which to go about making that learning a reality. Seven and a half (although I failed to understand why the last one was only a half) habits were listed as crucial to becoming a successful lifelong learner.

These habits were:

-begin with the end in mind - determine a goal, then plan to achieve it
-accept responsibility for your own learning
-view problems as challenges
- have confidence in yourself as a competent effective learner
-create your own learning toolbox
-use technology to your advantage
-teach/mentor others
-play

We are asked to list which of these habits we find the easiest and the most difficult and why.

I feel like I utilize many of these habits in my life already. I think the habits that have come most naturally to me are accepting responsibility for my own learning, using technology to my advantage, and creating my own learning toolbox. I've always been curious, and it seems to me that these three habits are only natural behaviors for someone who wants to learn and know things. How else do you learn?

The hardest things for me are confidence and following through with what I have begun. You can view a problem as a challenge, but many times a challenge is reason enough to drop something for me. Especially when that challenge is time. I never really feel confident about anything. That sounds terrible, but I bet that I am far from alone there. It is very easy to doubt yourself, especially when you are trying to learn about something new.

...Why is playing only half a habit?

No comments: