Friday, November 7, 2008

RSS feeds

For this exercise I had to create a bloglines account and add at least 10 subscriptions. I don't really like RSS newsfeeds. I can see why others would- as for myself I'd rather take the time to browse the page or blog instead of reading all the postings in a super plain format. It is convenient to check all of your news and blogs in one place if you are in a big hurry. I think a lot of the charm is lost though- the color, the images, the layout... the stuff that makes a blog a blog.

I do think this is a useful technology. Incredibly useful. It's also helpful in cases where you might want to see what your friends subscribe to- you can just look at their public blogroll. Libraries could have their own public blogrolls to help with information and research purposes. Reading groups could have their own blogrolls, etc. The possibilities are endless.

The nice thing about RSS is the organization and convenience it offers. Googlereader is nice because it is linked directly to my google account without a Bloglines middleman.

No comments: